Friday 12 January 2018

OUGD601 - Tutorial 1

In preparation for the tutorial, I reflected on the feedback and reading since the presentation in order to create an up to date proposal and prepare questions and concerns.

Focus on an area of graphic design - Predominantly visual so that I have something to work with during the practical side.

Independent Publishing - My reading into artists books has opened my eyes to a parallel between art and design as they use similar terminology due to the experimental nature of authorship and artists books. Through this reading I managed to identify some case studies - Mark Roth / Lissitzky which are relevant to graphic design due to the fact that they experiment with graphic principles in order to find new ways to communicate.

I noticed that a lot of graphic designers were resorting to the book in order to publish personal projects with an emphasis on self exploration and experimentation. This is evident through the work of Willem Sandberg and Boris Bucan. Therefore it would be interesting to explore how the artists' book has influenced the production and publishing of independent publishing. I intend not to focus on authorship for my essay, however the knowledge gained through researching into it has put me into a positive position to explore the artists' book. 

Feedback

My tutor agreed that pursuing the artists' book would be an appropriate area to explore because my previous reading can still be used to relate the desire to make an artists' book with current trends in publishing.

In response to this tutorial and the feedback that I gained through my presentation on authorship, I have decided to focus on a the artists' books influence on independent publishing. To achieve this, I need to increase my knowledge on publishing and find examples of artists' books in order to formalise an essay and practical response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment