Saturday 20 January 2018

Practical Investigation #1 - Visual Research and Initial Concepts

Identified that traditional artists' books of the democratic multiple has influenced
  • Must be reproducible 
  • Must be cheap to buy
  • Must be disposable
  • Maybe not so cheap to produce - 'Commentators tend to see them as a very democratic form of art because they are cheap to buy. But they are only cheap from the point of view of the buyer and they are only cheap from the point of view of the buyer and they are very expensive to produce for the artist, even more than traditional artworks.' (Lefebvre)
  • Must be produced with the intention to be 'art'. 
Initial Concepts in response to my research question:

1- Put Ulises Carrion's 'New Art of Making Books'
Put into the format of an artist book. This would give me an opportunity to express my own interpretation of the text through typography, shape and composition. I have quoted the text throughout my research question as it provides evidence to suggest the artists' should have a definitive involvement in the entire process of producing and publishing the book. This ultimately suggests why there is an increase in independent publishers. The text also highlights the lack of formal constraints that the 'new art' has developed from the 'old art' of making books.

2 - Use the interviews that I have gathered from DR.ME and NewLight Press and put them into an artists' book as a means to disseminate views on the artists' book from practicing professionals.

3 - Poetry - Illustrate and print my interpretation of a poem
The origins of the artist book is rooted in poetry and literature
Opportunity to create works of art in response to the poems 

4 - Create a spectrum (instead of a phillpot's venn diagram) and show where the books stay?
When defining the artist book within my essay, I proposed a spectrum would be more appropriate compared to Phillpot's venn diagram due to the plethora of uses and forms the book can take.

5- Collate all my notes, drafts, design processes and essays from the past three years of COP.
Why? In order to reflect the origins of the artist book being about process and focusing on the book as object. This would allow the concept to inform the form of the book.

6- Create a widget for print at home that can be applied to all sites
Making it recognisable and encouraging people to publish there work online

I have confidence that all of these concepts can work in synthesis with my written project, however I aim to take these into a crit to make an informed decision.


Feedback / Crit

In my first practical crit, I pitched my research question by highlighting the themes that I am covering in order to give context to my practical concepts.

The group liked the idea of using Carrion's text to respond to but expressed concern about the fact that it was not written by me. I was able to support my concept as artists' often responded to poetry and literature.

They expressed a lot of interest in concept 5 (collating all my notes together) as this would be a good way of expressing the emphasis on process.

I felt that people's lack of understanding of what an artist book is had a detrimental impact on the crit as people struggled to suggest any constructive feedback.


Initial Research 

Artists' books have been evident throughout almost all art movements. Looked at DADA for its emphasis on craft and rebellion in order to aesthetically inspire. This relates to Roth's craft orientated practice which is still relevant today.

http://issuu.com/labibliothequefantastique/docs/merz-8-9/20?e=0

merz 8-9:
























Observations:

Tenuous links between text and image
Sporadic layout
Range of typefaces and point size
The type is very much part of the aesthetic composition.


La Bibliothèque Fantastique - Antoine Lefebvre

As discussed previously within my blog and essay, LBF explores the notion of publishing as artistic practice by using online technology to allow anyone with an internet connection and printer to print out artists' books via PDF's. Here I will explore the books aesthetically in order to inspire my practical response:

Notes Suivi de L'ete

Scans of a book inside a book:















Lefebvre - La Tentation de saint Antoine 















Clear combination of digital technologies such as typography mixed with the vernacular of handwriting. Again reinstating the combination of craft and digital. 

No colour! - Allows anyone to print it even if they have a poor printer
Making it available for everyone and increasing the chances of it being shared. 

Liza Borovskaya - http://www.lizaborovskaya.com/the-new-art-of-making-books/
Typographic interpretation of the essay "The New Art of Making Books" by Ulises Carrión.

One of my immediate concepts as a response to my essay was to use Carrion's text and interpret it using the criteria of the artists' book. This would be appropriate because, as I have mentioned in my essay, the text highlights the movement from 'old art' to 'new art' which has worked cohesively with my knowledge of publishing as artistic practice























Borovskaya has subjectively interpreted the text and used graphic forms to express Carrion's writings. Breaking traditional values of design like the artists' book breaks traditional values of book design in the 'new art of making books'.


THE NEW MANIFESTO OF THE NEWLIGHTS PRESS (SECOND ITERATION) (2013)














Clear use of manual processes such as stamps and mono-print to accompany the text. This communicates the raw, tangible features of artists' books.


Pablo Picasso 'Les Chant des morts' by Pierre Reverdy
1948

Picasso responding to Reverdy's manuscript:





Picasso's illustrations surround the hand written text
Editions of 250 were made using lithography

No comments:

Post a Comment