Saturday 20 January 2018

Practical Investigation - Design Phase 1

Encourage experimentation
View the book as an object rather than a library book
Carrion's text refers to the 'old art' of making books and proposes what the 'new art' can bring to book production. This influenced me to use a range of modern and traditional production methods.

Initial Typographic Response

Typeface - Univers 45 Light


The simplicity of the sans-serif typeface allows me to plan out page compositions which I can manipulate and adapt once I have created a consistent visual identity. 

Composing the pages using contemporary typefaces was influenced by by its use on numerous gallery websites. I intend to be more autonomous and experimental with the typesetting and introduce other mark making techniques to reflect artists' books origins in craft.

Used a 6x6 grid - Applying my knowledge of contemporary design techniques (new art) to which I can juxtapose with traditional methods (old art). The minimal designs provide space for the reader to digest the information whilst allowing room for visual investigations through alternative materials.


















Illustrating the text through alternative typesetting:
















Use the form of the book to divide the 'old art' from the 'new art'.
















Review:

If I am to include the entire text, I will need to limit the amount of white space and decrease the size of type. I am conscious not to make the book too thick as this can cause binding issues, however this is dependent on the my design process which will ultimately determine the form of the book. This will concentrate the type so that I can dedicated double page spreads to highlight key quotes.

I identified through my research project that the downfall of artists' books wasn't there affordability but the accessibility of content. This makes it of prime importance to present the text clearly and objectively to increase understanding. Once this has been completed I can analyse the text further to develop visual elements to engage and inspire.

To achieve this, I used used columns to organise the text into channels. The narrow channels of type aim to accommodate Carion's short sentence structures and bulk up the pages. I used a lot of white space to allow to readers eye to rest through large amount of copy.

















The large areas of white space also provide opportunity for visuals to accommodate the text.

I aim to take these concepts into a crit to make sure the concept is viable and gain some further advice and inspiration for the visual challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment